Monday 7 December 2020

Working on Commissions


My last two painting projects have been 'commissions', one of pets and one of children.  I always start commission projects with some fear - what I want to paint and what the recipient wants may be two different things.  I have to say they were both enjoyable - the first one was bright, acrylic and ink and this one above is more subtle oil paints. They were both requests from family members too - which makes it easier.

Commissions can be a tad stressful.  First of all the photo references can be difficult to work from - unless you shoot them yourselves.  The above photo reference  I was sent is ideal - close cropped, great light coming from one direction, nothing but the subjects on the page.  Made it easy to tackle.  A commission can also be very stressful if the person requesting it wants to tell you exactly how to paint and gives you feedback requesting changes.  I found that when this happens I start choking up!  I become a little stressed and overwork things.  I have taken courses where my instructors were quite adamant that when doing commissions you, the artist should show a sketch, get an okay and then that is it - you create it.  I think most people are pretty happy with what they get.  The biggest challenge is capturing a likeness with a portrait.  I felt pretty okay with what I have got going so far on this one.  I am letting it dry for a couple days then going to do some tweaking with glazes and then STOP!  Off it goes and on to the next one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.