Thursday 13 June 2019

The Wonderful Encounters When Plein Air Painting

Today being another beautiful day I decided I would race out before noon and find something to paint.  I casually meandered onto the U of A farm and set up to paint this cool red & white barn.  On my way out I stopped to check out another barn, hidden behind the Saville Sports Centre.  I stopped to ask a man who was at the barn if he minded if I took some photos for later painting inspiration.  He was SUPER nice (Mr. Norby?) and proceeded to tell me all kinds of wonderful history of the U of A farm and these two barns.

This horse barn was originally built around 1915 and was located a few kilometres away right in the same spot the Stollery Children's Hospital is now.  It was chopped into 3 parts and moved south onto what now is the location of the Saville Sports Centre.  It was moved again (by the same company that originally moved it) to its current spot in the field near the pig barns.




Inside the white, former dairy barn is the A.L.E.S. museum, the U of A's Agriculture, etc historical museum.  It is FULL OF COOL old farm equipment, sleighs, etc.  ALES museum can be accessed by calling or emailing and making an appointment or if you happen to be nearby and someone is inside they will gladly let you have a look around.  I only saw a small portion of it but will be heading back with some family to check it out ASAP.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.