Sunday 12 May 2019

Plein Air Convention Days 4 & 5

Finally, I have a couple moments as all 'my Boyz' are busy making me Mother's Day Brunch and I have a few minutes to do what I want. So here is my review of the final 2 days of the PACE19, Plein Air Convention

 I actually slept in and missed the last 6:30 am Boot camp - dang - these were very useful, but I think I needed to catch up on some sleep.   

The first seminar I attended was Suzie Baker.  She was great. One of the top tips I took away was you should STOP when you see something that inspires you and DEFINE what about it inspires you.  Get that main idea written down so you can paint the thing that inspired you.  (the light on the hill, the colours in the sky, etc). Three pages of notes from her demo - she would definitely be worth taking a workshop from.


The second artist seminar I attended was Joe McGurl.  This guy is serious - seriously talented and pretty hardcore about plein air painting - take a look at his work - he foregoes using photos.  He builds lots of his own gadgets to make his  plein air forays into the wilderness easier and to ensure he gets accurate studies for his studio work.  Joe was awesome about sharing all of this info.  He is like the Red Green of plein air painting.  And I am a fan of self-building and home made gadgetry, so I took lots of notes.




Today we had a nice long afternoon paint out at Lands End Park.  Views all over the place, unfortunately I became overly excited by so much to see and tried to include it all in my plein air piece.  The top photo was my view, and so I tried to include golden gate bridge, the beach, rocks, etc. I think I needed a focus and my painting was a struggle with no clear focal point or path.
After about an hour and a half. I packed up my easel, did some sketches and went for a nice long hike down to the beach you can see in the photo.  I really enjoyed the day and got some good photos, despite painting a little stinker.

 SUNDAY - THE FINAL DAY OF PACE 19

This was the last day of the convention.  We bussed out to Viastra Winery in Sonoma at 9 am to paint until 5 pm.  Finally, a beautiful day with the fog lifting by about 10:00.  I set up facing the main building and spent until noon working on a study.

 After I had some lunch I switched spots and found this little vista which had some wonderful atmospheric affects happening with the hills.  I sat in the shade and really enjoyed just painting for another 2 1/2 hrs with a bit of chatting with a pastel artist close by.  An awesome end to a great trip!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.