Friday 3 May 2019

Plein Air Convention - Day 3

A continuation of my experience at PACE19 ...

Day 3
6:30 am Eric Rhoads - Art Marketing Boot Camp - worth it!!

Shelby Keefe Demo - Making Great Painting from Photographs.  I enjoyed Shelby's instruction and style of painting.  There are some Plein Air artists that tend to be 'purists' in terms of not painting from photos.  For me, the reality of living in a norther climate where we have cold and snow at least 6 or more months of the year, is that painting from photos is a regular thing.  I agree that plein air sure does help with seeing colour and value more realistically though. I especially liked Shelby's use of a coloured underpainting and having it peek through the painting.
The photo is poor as the lighting is a bit harsh and yellow in the convention room, check her website.

Larry Moore I raced off for the last bit of Larry's demo, Gouache and Field Creativity.  I really like the idea of using gouache in the field as the flexibility of it, drying time and weight of supplies is appealing.  I am a regular viewer of James Gurney's blogs and videos and he uses gouche a lot so this demo was cool to see how gouache can make some really nice plein air studies.  Larry was a great presenter too,
 
Charlie Hunter - Values Matter - Charlie Hunter is massively entertaining as a presenter and massively gifted in his drawing and moody paintings. It was a favourite demo for me as he intersperses his presentation with jokes, stories, terrible songs and quips.  He still manages to create a fabulous work of art while entertaining us all. So much energy! Constant drawing practise!

Overcoming Obstacles in Plein Air Painting - best tip Try not to go over a stroke again, lay it down and leave it so you don't kill the painting.

Paint Out at Golden Gate Park
Our plein air excursion today was to Golden Gate Park.  Weather was much more cooperative and lots of interesting spots to paint at.  I really enjoyed the time out today and had lots of great feedback from 4 experienced art 'rock stars'.  The best tip I received from 2 of the 4 instructors, was that I should keep a nice puddle of grey, made from my palette colours, to help bring cohesiveness to my painting and dull down some of my overly bright areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.