Saturday 26 May 2018

What to take with you...


As it was another beautiful day, I headed outdoors for my first real 'plein aire' session this year.  Below is kind of my current set up with one or two extras that may not be needed. 

1.  A Pack:  We won this back pack somewhere and it has a fold out seat attached.  It was big enough to accommodate my Gorilla Painting box.  I rarely sit down when painting, but thought it might be useful should I become exhausted from the painting frenzy.  My tripod fits nicely on the side too.




2.  What is inside the pack:
-Roll of paper shop towels  -  a garbage bag  - pre-stained wood panels 9x12
- 5 to 8 brushes  - paints: cadmium red, alizarin crimson, ultramarine blue, cad yellow light, yellow ochre light, sap green, viridian and white
- a view finder
- brush cleaner (walnut oil)
- bug spray
- water to drink
- a hat (need a bigger hat next time)
- the Gorilla box which holds all the painting stuff
- palette paper
- tape for the paper
- bear spray  
- in the picture is a great little stool that I got as a gift.  It is from Lee Valley, garden tools.  I don't take it often but if I go on a workshop or will be out all day it comes along.

This was the scene I chose to paint.  Down in the ravine near home. Below is my tripod and box set up and paint laid out.



It is nice to have a companion along if you aren't painting with friends.  We don't bring the dog with us to bear country, but this is in the city so she enjoyed a couple swims while waiting for me.


The painting in progress.  

It's always good to do a couple brief close to home trips before you head off on a serious painting journey.  I discovered I should have had a bigger hat as it was seriously hot out.  It was too windy for the painting umbrella and you can't wear your sunglasses while painting unless you can compensate for the colour differences. So it is better to find some shade that will be around for awhile.  This is just an oil study should I decide I like it I would paint a more precise version back in the studio.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.