Friday 16 February 2018

#16 - The Sincerest form of flattery

A couple of weeks ago as I was waiting to pick up one of my kids, I was looking down the alley nearby and loving the light and colour on the snow.  I thought to myself  "Self, that looks like a painting".  Specifically a Kari Duke or a Mike Svob, style painting.  These are 2 of my favourite artists.

So for today's 30 paintings in 30 days challenge I decided Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery and that I would turn my photo of that alley into a painting in the style of a Duke or a Svob.  Mike Svob, when I used to manage art workshops he taught at, would sometimes call these his velvet Elvis paintings, as they are done on black gesso. (Referencing the old velvet paintings of the ?70's).

Below is the finished painting, along with my progression as I painted it.
Add caption
Photo with my velvet / black gesso panel

oil colours I used


Adding some transparent warms

throwing in some lights




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.