Tuesday 7 November 2017

Finishes and starts

Starting a painting is always easy and exciting and hopeful.  You get this picture in your head about how you are going to do this piece and of course it is quite perfect.  Then you start - and I always seem to really like the painting up to about 1/2 or 3/4 of the way through.  Then something goes south, a part of the picture isn't working or you over work it or you get bored with the painting.  I often (and I guess a lot of artists do this) abandon the painting or set it aside for awhile and then just can't start it again - mostly cause I don't quite know what to do to 'fix' it, I found this website,  Draw, paint, mix that helps you to get past this problem.

This oil sketch below is just a quick one - to help me loosen up - completed in about an hour
Oil on 8x10 wood panel
 This is an example of a painting that I was loving, but then ended up overworking bits and not liking it by the time it ended.  Must embrace these experiences and learn I guess!
Ukrainian Village church - Oil on 9x12 panel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.